Participating leaders, activists, advocates and experts in the People’s Summit on the Impacts of Reclamation, held on October 24-25, 2012 at the College of Science Auditorium in the University of the Philippines-Diliman, united in the formation of the People’s Network for the Integrity of Coastal Habitats and Ecosystems
The People’s Network for the Integrity of Coastal Habitats and Ecosystems (People’s NICHE) is an alliance calling for the restoration, instead of reclamation, of the coastal waters of Manila Bay and other areas targeted for reclamation developments under the National Reclamation Plan.
People’s NICHE bears the following calls:
- Impose a ten-year moratorium on reclamation projects and a thorough review of the national policy on reclamation prior to a rigorous, participatory, transparent, independent scientific and legal assessment of the ecological, climate change, health, and socio-economic impacts of reclamation projects;
- Immediately cancel land reclamation projects that did not comply with the Local Government Code provision requiring a national law and a plebiscite for substantial alterations of land boundaries, those either without or contrary to approved Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Integrated Coastal Resources Management Plan;
- Immediately cancel land reclamation projects that have been opposed by communities as well as those already declared unconstitutional such as the PEA-AMARI project and those identified by independent and impartial studies to have adverse effects on the environment, lives and livelihood of people;
- Increase the capability and resiliency of communities and our network in order to strengthen our ranks to oppose reclamation activities through united action;
- Re-align the Aquino government’s programs and policies on the management of our coastal and marine resources, in accordance with the people’s collective interest and social justice, environmental and other relevant laws;
- Institutionalize a no-nonsense transparent and graft-free implementation of environmental laws, including anti-pollution laws upholding people’s rights; strengthening of environmental impact statement system, mainstream environmental and social accounting and exact accountability for those who approved existing projects and those who violated national laws and policies.
People’s NICHE is nation-wide alliance is convened by Center for Environmental Concerns-Philippines, PAMALAKAYA, Institute of Environmental Science and Meteorology – UP Diliman, AGHAM – Advocates of Science and Technology for the People, Kalikasan People’s Network for the Environment, Kalikasan Partylist, ASAP – Alliance for Stewardship and Authentic Progress, Philippine Earth Justice Center and Central Visayas Fisherfolk Development Center Inc.
For more information about People’s NICHE, visit peoplesniche.wordpress.com/